Taylor’s Beef and Potatoes
Kanye should totally be punished for shushing Taylor Swift last night at the MTV VMAs. What he should have said is “Will someone please feed Tay-Tay some beef and potatoes? Get this girl some beef, pa-lease!”
Beef BBQ Sandwiches
Recipe compliments of Southern Living (slightly varied)
- 1 (3 1/2-pound) eye-of-round roast, cut in half vertically
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 (10-ounce) can condensed beef broth
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons BBQ sauce (SL used steak sauce)
- 1 teaspoon coarse ground pepper (SL added salt)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Wheat rolls
Stir together garlic and next seven ingredients. Pour half of mixture into a slow cooker. Place beef in slow cooker, and pour remaining mixture over beef. Cover and cook on high for seven hours.
Shred beef in slow cooker with two forks. Serve with buns or without.
- New potatoes or red potatoes (count 2-3 potatoes per person)
- Two tablespoons of butter/margarine
- Two cloves of garlic
- ¼ cup of milk
- ½ cup of light sour cream
- ½ cup of cheese (if your name is Russell Wagner, use a whole cup)
- Two tablespoons of chopped chives
- Salt and pepper to taste
Chop potatoes into quarters or halves. Boil potatoes until they are soft (about 15 minutes). Strain the potatoes. Do the ‘Sprain” like Lisa Turtle since it rhymes with “strain.”
In the same pot, melt butter and garlic. Place potatoes back in the pot and begin mashing with a fork or tater masher thingamabob. Add milk. Sing “It’s Mr. Potato Head with a bucket of fun.”
Add sour cream. Smash, smash. Add cheese and chives. Smash a bit more. Taste and add more ingredients if necessary. It’s okay if these fellas are lumpy. They love their lady lumps.
Pair Taylor’s beef sandwich and potatoes with a robust red like the 2006 Camelot Cabernet Sauvignon.