Confessions of a Shoe-aholic Egg Boiling Novice
I have a confession. I, sometimes, wear shoes that I can’t walk in because I think they are cute. I also have been known to squeeze my size-7 foot into a size 6 because I think they are cute. The compliments I receive from strangers make the cantaloupe-sized blisters and excruciating bound foot pain totally worth it. I have also stuffed shoe pads, tissue paper, Styrofoam peanuts, padding from bras, toilet paper, left-over meat loaf into size 8 shoes because I think they are cute. I don’t recommend the latter. Why does everyone and their grandmother’s great-grandmother wear a size 7?
I have another confession. I have never boiled an egg. This came to my attention when I was chatting it up with a dear friend and we were discussing the ol’ blog here. She said, “This is awesome. I can’t cook. I’m afraid of knives and I don’t even know how to boil an egg.”
So I pondered. And, I dug into the memories of eating eggs, preparing eggs with my dad every stinkin’ Sunday, making scrambled eggs, frying eggs, tossing eggs at my brother, beating eggs, watching my mom boil eggs, cracking eggs, preparing quiches, balancing eggs on spoons, experimenting with frittatas, and decorating hard boiled eggs with my sister. My revelation: Why, Jimminy Jebediah of Amish country, Robin! I’ve never boiled an egg either. Thanks to the experts of WikiHow.com. I can. And, I will. Consider that egg boiled.
How to Boil An Egg
- Place eggs with their shells in tact in a medium-sized pot. Knowing my clumsy derriere, I would have cracked them open leaving one hot mess.
- Fill the pot with enough water to cover eggs completely leaving about an inch more of water over the eggs.
- They recommend adding salt to the water. This seems unnecessary to me. Thoughts from you expert-egg-boiling-aficionados out there?
- Place the lid on the pot and bring the water to a boil.
- Once the water boils, turn off the stove but leave the pot on the warm stovetop for about 10-15 minutes.
- Stop the cooking process by placing eggs into a bowl of ice water.
- Peel the eggs once they are cool enough to handle.
- See how many you can shove in your mouth. Then, say the words “Chubby Bunny” ten times fast.